Front-end performance testing is a set of tools and practices to help our customers:
• Meet users’ expectations for consistent interactions beyond functional flow
• Deliver compelling and rich experiences on mobile devices and browsers
• Get early awareness of performance degradation to allow developers to respond more quickly to issues
To read more, please see our white paper: Front End Performance Testing Best Practices.
Why Use Sauce Fron-End Performance Testing?
Sauce Labs offers a front end performance testing tool that you can use to achieve exactly that. This tool is pre-integrated into the Sauce portfolio and is commonly incorporated into existing CI/CD workflows.
The following describe the additional value Sauce Performance Product offers above and beyond other tools available.
- Leverage existing functional test scripts (that are validated and executing well) as a starting point to implement performance test scripts
- Scale the number of executions in order to deliver a result to the developer/tester faster without the need to maintain your own scalable grid
- Execute the script on the latest versions of the supported browsers without the need to maintain your own images
- Leverage an execution environment that is compliant with your corporate policy
- Leverage the Sauce Machine Learning algorithm that was trained on your scripts and pages, and was defined using millions of diverse test executions, to set trends, baselines and alerts to indicate of a performance regression when you have many tests running continuously
- Conduct script execution analysis in the same environment used by other teams members, where you can share and contrast data to isolate issues
- Achieve faster root cause analysis by using all the metrics and artifacts offered by Sauce Performance solution
Enterprise Plans Only
This feature is available for Enterprise plans only. For more information about other benefits that are included with Enterprise plans, check out our Pricing page.
This feature is available only for testing web applications with the Google Chrome browser.
See the following sections for more information:
The Sauce Performance product requires licensing. Please contact your Sauce representative to try this functionality.
Sauce Performance currently supports Chrome desktop browsers, latest 5 versions on Windows and MacOS. Support for other browsers and mobile devices is on our roadmap. Please visit our Saucelabs ideas portal to request further support for this product.
Test Execution Time
When you run a performance test you will realize that tests run slightly slower than functional tests. Similar to other performance tools, Sauce has to record the browser activities throughout the whole page load to ensure that metrics like
firstInteractive are captured reliably and accurately. Please see the Front End Performance Testing Best Practices to ensure your performance test suite runs separately and does not block your functional testing.
You have the following options for using Sauce Performance:
- Test Performance Using Speedo to evaluate performance: Automate a performance evaluation of a single URL via shell scripts using our open-source Speedo CLI tool and a Sauce VM.
- Test Multiple Pages Using Automated Tests - Easily audit pages that are being accessed by an automated test and start gathering performance metrics.
- Test the Smoothness of Your Application - Run simple checks using extended commands provided by Sauce Labs that can identify janky behavior.
- Debug Performance - Debug issues found in more details using the Sauce Performance tool.
For more information, check out these topics: